This Hot & High, then Low & Slow method of roasting produces a delicious and amazingly tender medium rare roast. Serve this classic style roast with au jus and horseradish cream sauce. This is great roast for entertaining a crowd or a make ahead staple for shaved roast buffalo sandwiches.
Sirloin Tip or Top Round Roast
- 3 T Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 T butter
- 1 cup wine, stock or water
- Rinse roast and pat dry.
- Rub roast with olive oil & season as desired. Let roast rest at room temperature for 2 hours before roasting.
- Pre-heat oven to 500°
- Place prepared roast in heavy roasting pan, and place in 500° oven. Close door quickly.
- Reduce oven temperature to 475° and roast uncovered for 13 minutes.
- Turn oven off. Leave roast in oven for 2 ½ hours. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ANYTIME DURING ROASTING PROCESS. (And yes, that is important enough for all caps!)
- Remove roast from oven and place on cutting board. Slice roast, keeping slices close together.
- Place roasting pan on stove top, over medium high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Deglaze with 1 cup wine, stock or water and bring to a simmer, for au jus.
- Preheat oven to 500° and place sliced roast in oven for 5 minutes to warm. Pass roast with au jus and horseradish sauce.
Temperature Guide–Internal Temperatures of Meat:
Rare – 130 degrees. Medium-rare – 140 degrees. Medium – 155 degrees.