A perfect casserole for family diners or easy entertaining. (Makes 6 to 8 servings)
1 - 12 oz. Uncured Smoked Kielbasa
3 to 4 lbs. - potatoes, par-boiled and chopped
¼ - cup olive oil
1 - small cabbage, sliced thin
1 - onion, sliced thin
2 - apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 - cups white cheddar cheese, finely grated
¼ - cup vinegar
1 - tablespoon coarse mustard
3 - teaspoons salt
3 - teaspoon black pepper
2 - eggs, beaten
1 - pint heavy cream
2 - teaspoons caraway
2 - cups dark rye crackers crushed
1) Preheat oven to 475* Rack positioned on middle rack.
2) Place chopped potatoes in a bowl. Mix vinegar, mustard, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper together in separate bowl until incorporated and pour over potatoes. Toss.
3) Pour oil in bottom of heavy casserole pan and spread to cover. Spoon potatoes in pan and place in hot oven.
4) Allow potatoes to brown, turning as needed.
5) Remove from oven. Turn oven temperature down to 375*
6) Toss sliced cabbage, onions and apples all together. Place mixture on top of potatoes and cover with grated cheese.
7) Top with sliced Buffalo Kielbasa.
8) Whip cream into beaten eggs with remaining salt and pepper. Pour over casserole.
9) Cover casserole and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Remove casserole and continue to bake for 15 minutes.
10) Remove casserole from oven and turn oven to broil. Top casserole with crushed rye crackers and bake until crackers start to brown, about 7 minutes.
11) Remove from oven and allow too rest for 5 minutes.
Use a large spoon to dish up portions. Serve with crusty bread and additional mustard to pass.