This month’s recipe is for Italian Buffalo Sausage Lasagna. It’s a great dish to prepare in advance, to have for days that run too short, or when you are just too tired. There is something about a hot meal at the end of a long day that is so rewarding. A gift really, that says thank you.
(serves 4 to 6)
- 1 – Batch Buffalo Meat Sauce
- 1 – pkg. no boil lasagna sheets
- 1 – lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8oz. – parmesan, grated
- * optional roasted zucchini
Buffalo Meat Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – pound Wild Idea Buffalo Italian Sausage
- 1 – onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried crushed fennel
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 – cup red wine
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes, (rinse jar with 1 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preparation of Sauce:
- Heat olive oil in heavy sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Coarsely crumble in Buffalo Italian Sausage and stir once.
- Add onion, garlic and dried spices. Stir to incorporate. Continue to cook until sausage is lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add red wine and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients. Let ingredients come to full heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved. Stir occasionally.
- Season to taste.
- Lightly oil lasagna pan or casserole dish.
- Cover bottom of pan with one cup meat sauce.
- Layer with lasagna sheets, meat sauce, and mozzarella. (Roasted zucchini may be added to layers if you choose.)
- Repeat layers 2 to 3 times based on pan size, ending with a thin layer of meat sauce on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375* for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cover top with grated Parmesan and allow to melt or lightly brown.
Leave a comment