This is a great make-ahead recipe, for quick “heat and eat” meals after a long day. Use the highest quality ingredients you can find to maximize nutrient value so you can enjoy the crusty outside and gooey, cheesy inside with guiltless pleasure!
1 - 9 ounce pkg. Wild Idea Buffalo Pepperoni
1 - pkg. 6 count, Udi’s whole-wheat hotdog buns *Udi’s are my favorite.
8 - ounces organic mozzarella cheese, sliced
½ - cup basil pesto
½ - cup pizza sauce *My favorite is Mezzetta!
- Slice Wild Idea Buffalo Pepperoni into slices. You will need 3 to 4 slices per sandwich.
- Split hotdog buns open and spread basil pesto on the bottom half of the bun and pizza sauce on the top half.
- Place sliced pepperoni on top of the pesto and then layer with the mozzarella slices.
- Place the top of the bun on the cheese layer and roll in the foil.
- Toast in a toaster oven or oven, preheated to 375°, for 15 to 20 minutes. Or, toast on gas grill set at same temperature turning occasionally, for about 10 to 15 minutes. To insure they are done, peel back the foil; the bun should be slightly crusty and center melted and gooey.
- Remove from the oven and open immediately and serve.
Serve with a green salad for a complete, healthy meal.
Leave a comment