Making homemade stock is not difficult, but it does take time. The end result—a healthy, flavorful stock that can be used in many recipes or consumed for daily wellness—is worth every minute.
Note: If you double this recipe, be sure to double your cooking time, too.
Ingredients (Makes about 4 quarts):
- 1 - 3.5 lb. package Wild Idea Buffalo Shanks
- 1 - 2 lb. package Wild Idea Buffalo Soup Bones
- 1 - 2 lb. package Wild Idea Meaty Buffalo Bones
- 1 - onion, quartered & separated
- 6 - garlic cloves
- 2 - carrots, chopped
- 3 - stalks celery, chopped
- 1 to 2 - tablespoons olive oil
- 2 - teaspoons salt
- 1 - tablespoon black pepper
- 8 - quarts water
- 2 - tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 - half bunch parsley
- Soak bones in cold water overnight in the refrigerator. Drain and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange shanks, bones, and all vegetables except parsley on large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, turning ingredients occasionally.
- Transfer ingredients to stockpot, along with brown bits from the roasting pan. Cover with 8 quarts water and add the apple cider vinegar and parsley.
- Bring to a full boil over high heat on the stovetop. Reduce heat to a simmer (bubbles should barely break the surface). Cover and simmer for 48 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop bones, meat, and vegetables out of the pot. Optional: Reserve the marrow bones that still have the marrow inside for spreading on toast and wrap up usable shank meat, which will be fall-apart tender for a later use. See recipe for Layered Nachos.
- Pour broth through a strainer to remove smaller particles and refrigerate overnight or until fat has hardened on the surface.
- Remove stock from refrigerator and remove the fat from the surface.
- Return stock to stovetop and bring to a full boil. If broth has not yet reduced to half, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until you have about 4 quarts.
- Transfer hot broth into clean, warmed jars and cover with lids. Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.