This layered meaty, cheesy concoction, loaded with veggies, is irresistible. I like to make this dish using the shank meat from my homemade stock recipe, but it could also be made with leftover braised chuck roast, or with ground meat. (Serves 4)
Buffalo Shank meat from the Buffalo Stock recipe. I usually get about 1½ pounds of meat.
1 - tablespoon olive oil
2 - teaspoons chili powder
2 - teaspoons cumin
1½ - teaspoons salt
1 - teaspoon black pepper
1 - teaspoon garlic powder
1 - teaspoon oregano
1 - teaspoon smoked paprika
½ - teaspoon coriander
8 - ounces Colby cheese, shredded
1 - can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 - cup chopped tomatoes
1 - bell pepper, diced
3 - green onions, diced
1 - avocado, chopped, reserve a little for garnish
½ - cup chopped cilantro leaves, reserve a little for garnish
Corn Chips, thicker style
- In sauté pan over medium high heat, heat oil. Add shredded shank meat and all of the spices, stirring to incorporate. Bring to full heat.
- Remove pan from heat, cover the meat, and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Shred your cheese and prep all of your vegetables.
- On 4 oven safe plates, arrange a layer of corn chips. Top chips with 1/3 of meat, and other ingredients divided between the 4 plates. Repeat layer two more times.
- Place prepared nachos in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the nachos from the oven and place on a heat resistant surface, and allow nachos to cool slightly before serving.
- Top with reserved avocado and cilantro and serve with fresh lime wedges and desired condiments.