Recently, our in-house artisan sausage maker has come up with our latest, Wild Idea Buffalo product, Smoked Italian Sausage with Mozzarella. I was in love at first bite! With the grilling season in full swing, I thought it would make a great topping for a grilled Caesar salad. I modified my traditional Caesar dressing by adding ground fennel, which is fantastic, and added a layer of tomatoes. This will be a favorite ranch, summer, go to recipe! I hope you like it too. (Makes 2 servings)
2 – Wild Idea 1 lb. Buffalo Smoked Mozzarella Brat
1 – Romaine lettuce heart, halves
3 – tablespoon basil olive oil or olive oil
1 – tomato, sliced
¼ – teaspoon each, salt & pepper
½ – cup fennel infused Caesar dressing, recipe below
Optional – Toasted croutons
1) Pre-heat grill to medium heat, about 350°.
2) Place Romaine halves on a baking sheet or platter and drizzle each with a tablespoon of oil. Season with a little salt and pepper.
3) Place the tomato slices on plates, drizzle with the remaining oil, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
4) Place the sausages on the grill, and grill for two minutes with the grill lid closed.
5) Add the Romaine halves and turn the sausages, close the grill lid and grill for another 2 minutes. Turn the Romaine hearts, rotate sausages, and grill for 2 more minutes.
6) Remove sausages and Romaine hearts from the grill, placing the grilled Romaine on top of the tomatoes.
7) Slice the sausages and place on top of the grilled Romaine.
8) Spoon desired amounts of Caesar dressing over the salad and top with shaved Parmesan. Serve with toasted croutons.
Fennel Infused Caesar Dressing
2 – cloves garlic
2 – teaspoons ground fennel, add a bit more to taste, if you like
1 – tsp. black pepper
2 – 2oz. tin Anchovy Filets in oil
1 – Tb. lemon juice + ¼ cup lemon juice
¼ – cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 – farm fresh or organic egg, coddled
¼ cup olive oil
1.) In blender, mix garlic, pepper, 1 tin anchovies, 1 T. lemon juice, Parmesan cheese and egg.
2.) With blender running drizzle in olive oil, and mix until well incorporated. Mixture will be thick.
3.) Add additional lemon juice and one more tin of anchovies and flash process. This will help to thin the dressing and will leave larger pieces of anchovies dressing.
4.) Season with additional pepper & garlic, as desired.