A simple recipe packed with flavor and nutrition!
- Crumble ground meat in a bowl with 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt & pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll into 24 meatballs and place on an oiled (using the remaining olive oil) baking sheet. Broil at 500° for about 7 minutes.
- 1 – onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 – fennel bulb, halved and sliced thin
- 2 – tablespoons butter
- 2 – teaspoons crushed fennel
- 1 – teaspoon salt
- 1 – teaspoon black pepper
- ½ - teaspoon chili flake
- 24 – ounces crushed tomatoes
- squeeze of lemon
- In a heavy pot over medium high heat, add butter, onions and fennel and sauté for 5 minutes before adding the dry spices.
- Continue to sauté until vegetables are tender. Add the crushed tomatoes and stir to incorporate. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add a fresh squeeze of lemon before serving.
- pasta or zucchini or squash noodles
- fennel fronds and fresh oregano
- grated Parmesan
To Serve: Spoon sauce over pasta of choice or zucchini or squash noodles, top with hot meatballs and garnish with fennel fronds and oregano.
Photo Credit: Jill O'Brien
Leave a comment