This dish is great hot or cold. And, it’s even better than I remember - using an Emmer & Co. Heritage Chicken!
Ingredients: (serves 4 to 6)
1 - 3 pound Emmer & Co. Heritage Chicken
1 - cup lemon juice
1 - tablespoon flour
1 - teaspoon paprika
1 - teaspoon black pepper
1 - teaspoon salt
1 - tablespoon olive or coconut oil
1 - tablespoon+ unsalted butter
½ - cup chicken stock
3 - tablespoons brown sugar
2 - lemons, sliced and wedged
Fresh thyme sprigs
- Rinse chicken and blot dry with a paper towel. Place chicken on cutting board breast side down and remove the backbone with sharp cutting shears, cutting along each side of the backbone. Open the chicken up and turn over. Cut the skin over the breastbone with a scissors. Turn the chicken back over. Using a knife, cut along each side of the breastbone to remove. Cut through the remaining cartilage with a heavy, sharp knife. (There are tutorials for this on-line too.)
- Place chicken halves in a glass, baking dish and add 1 cup of lemon juice. Cover and allow the chicken to marinade in the juice for 8 to 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from lemon juice. Reserve ½ cup of the remaining lemon juice and blot the chicken dry. *Preheat oven to 300°.
- Mix flour paprika, salt and pepper together and sprinkle over skin-side of the chicken.
- In a heavy skillet over medium high heat, heat the oil and butter.
- Place seasoned chicken skin down in the pan to brown, nestling up against the sides of the pan to brown the edges. This step takes about 10 minutes.
- While chicken is browning, mix reserved lemon, chicken stock and brown sugar together.
- Lightly butter a baking dish and place browned chicken, skin side up in the pan.
- Pour lemon juice mixture over chicken and top chicken with lemon slices and thyme sprigs. Cover the baking pan with foil and seal.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and accompany with the pan juices.
Serve with Lemon & Chive Pasta. Pasta recipe included with purchase.
Leave a comment