Other than the slicing, this recipe is super easy, super delicious and will feed the family or a crowd. You may want to consider making it for your next dinner party or Christmas party… Feliz Navidad!
Ingredients: (serves 12 to 24)
1 – 3 pound Top Round Roast
4 – tablespoons olive oil
1 – packet Jill’s Mexican Seasoning
1 – large onion
2 – large bell peppers, or more to your liking
1 – 10 oz. can chopped tomatoes with lime
Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Rinse roast and pat dry.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the packet of seasoning in a heavy roasting pot.
- Add the roast to the pot and rub the olive oil and seasoning mixture into the roast.
- Follow the Hot & High, Low & Slow Cooking method: Place roast in the oven, uncovered, then lower the temperature to 475° and roast for 13 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the roast in the oven without opening the door for 2.5 hours.
- While the roast is cooking, cut your vegetables into strips. In a large skillet, over medium-high to high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the onion. Sauté onion for about 5 minutes, then add the peppers. Continue to sauté until the vegetables are al dente. Season with salt.
- Remove the pot from the oven and place the roast on a cutting board. Slice thinly, then cut the slices into strips. Reserve the pan juices for a tomato au jus and reserve the end and the more-done meat pieces for another use, such as soup.
- Place the pot with the juices on the stove top at medium-high heat. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil, scraping up the bits from the bottom. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and bring to full heat. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- To serve, arrange sliced meat on a platter and the hot sautéed vegetables. Pour part of the tomato au jus over the meat. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with tortillas and desired accompaniments.