It makes great sense to put 100% grass-fed bison meat inside the apple of the earth. Golden roasted potatoes, with our Wild Idea Buffalo Breakfast Sausage and blue cheese make for a wonderful combination.
Ensure you purchase organic potatoes to avoid the harsh chemicals that are used in growing regular potatoes. These savory and scrumptious, sausage stuffed potatoes are terrific for brunch or as hors d'oeuvres.
Makes 24 to 35 hors d'oeuvres, depending on the size of your potatoes, or choose larger potatoes for entrée size.
- 1 – pound Wild Idea Buffalo Breakfast Sausage
- 6 – ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 – teaspoon salt
- 1 – teaspoon black pepper
- 1 – pound organic baby golden or red potatoes
- 2 – tablespoons olive oil
- ½ - teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ - teaspoon black pepper
- In a sauté pan, over medium high heat, crumble in the sausage. Stir occasionally to evenly brown sausage. When sausage is browned remove from the heat and allow too come to room temperature.
- Boil potatoes until tender, but still slightly firm. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- Place cooked Buffalo Sausage into a food processor and pulse process for 15 seconds. Add crumbled blue cheese, salt and pepper, and process again to incorporate.
- Cut potatoes in half while still slightly warm, and spoon the inside of the potato out. Reserve for other use.
- Rub the outside and lip of the potato shells with the olive oil and season with garlic salt and pepper. Place hollow side down on a baking sheet and toast in a 400° oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, turn hollow side up, and allow to come to room temperature. Fill the hollow toasted potato shells with the buffalo sausage cheese mixture. (At this point you could cover and refrigerate, and bake at a later time.)
- Place stuffed potatoes in a 400° preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter. Top with sun-dried tomato relish.
Sun-dried Tomato Relish
- 4 – ounces sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and diced
- 3 – green onions, diced
- ¼ - cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 – fresh lemon, juiced
- 1 - tablespoon real maple syrup
- pinch cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparations: Toss all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Photo Credit: Jill O'Brien