This sandwich received national attention on NPR, during Dan O’Brien’s book review for Stolen Horses. In the book, the sandwich is constructed with great attention to detail and is a laugh-out-loud scene.
The sandwich is as delicious as the novel! Serve with milk, to balance the jalapeño heat, or use pickled jalapeños to avoid the heat.
Ingredients (Per Sandwich):
- 2 – slices sourdough bread, cut on the bias
- 4 to 6 – slices Wild Idea Buffalo Salami, cut on the bias
- 1 or 2 slices - Vidalia onion, cut on the bias
- 1 – fresh jalapeño, sliced very thin
- Dijon Mustard
- Prepare all ingredients as suggested above.
- Generously spread the Dijon mustard on both slices of sourdough.
- Nestle the salami slices into the mustard, as many as you like, on top of one of the mustard covered bread slices.
- Top with one or two slices of the Vidalia onion, and desired amount of thinly sliced jalapeno.
- Cover with the other mustard covered bread slice and cut in half. Excellent, sublime, divine and bueno!