I tested this recipe out on visiting guests, and it was a big success! Preping the roast will take a little effort, but a sharp filet knife will make it very manageable. The end result will be a very tender, medium roast, with a delicious, savory sausage stuffing and red wine gravy!
Ingredients for Roast & Gravy:
1 - 3 lb. Wild Idea 3 lb. Sirloin Tip Roast
1 - tablespoon olive oil
½ - tablespoon black pepper
½ - tablespoon salt
1 - onion, coarse chopped and flash processed
½ recipe Savory Buffalo Sausage Stuffing (Use other half for your organic Turkey or chicken or just heat by itself.)
2 - sticks butter
¼ - cup flour
1 - quart buffalo, organic beef stock
2 - cups wine
1 - tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
½ - tablespoon thyme
½ - tablespoon sage
Instructions: *Preheat oven to 185°
1) Rinse roast and pat dry. Remove any exterior fat. Using a filet knife butterfly roast, in a jelly roll fashion. You will make 3 major cuts lengthwise, starting about 1½ inches in from left, slicing down about 2 inches, flip roast slightly and slice again, repeat. You will encounter a piece of sinew that runs through the roast, slice through and contend with after flat.
2) Flatten out meat with hands. Using the tip of the filet knife remove visible sinew, but avoid cutting through, which will produce holes. Cut away any miss-shaped end pieces and reserve. There will still be a little sinew in roast, which can be cut away during serving time.
3) Cover roast with plastic wrap and using a mallet or rolling pin, pound out to about 1 inch thick.
4) Place stuffing down the center of the roast and wrap meat around until meat touches. Secure with heavy toothpicks.
5) Pour olive oil, salt and pepper in roasting pan and mix together. Roll roast in seasoned oil, until evenly coated. Add miss-shaped meat pieces to the roasting pan.
6) Place chopped onion in food processor and flash process, to create smaller pieces and release some of the onions juices.
7) Pour onions with juices over roast, and press lightly in to meat.
8) Place roast in pre-heated oven and roast for 5 hours.
9) Remove roast from oven, and from roasting pan and wrap in foil. Set aside. Increase oven temperature to 500°.
10) In a saucepan melt one stick of the butter over medium heat. Scrape onion bits and juices from the roasting pan, into the saucepan. Whisk in flour, and stir until well incorporated and lightly brown.
11) Slowly whisk in stock and wine, stirring constantly.
12) Add seasoning and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until reduce by a third.
13) Remove roast from foil and return roast to pan. Melt remaining stick of butter and pour over the onions on top of the roast. Return roast to lower shelf in oven, and turn oven to broil. Roast until onions are golden brown.
14) Remove roast from oven. Transfer roast to cutting board, for carving. Pass with Red Wine Gravy.
Savory Buffalo Sausage Stuffing
2 - Tablespoons butter
2 - Tablespoons olive oil
1 - 1 lb. Chorizo Sausage or Italian Sausage
1 - onion, diced
3 - stalks celery, sliced
2 - teaspoons dried sage
2 - teaspoons dried thyme
1 - teaspoon ground fennel
1 - teaspoon salt
1 - Tablespoon pepper
1 - 14oz. bag herbed seasoned stuffing
2½ - cups organic chicken stock
1) In heavy skillet over medium high heat, heat butter and olive oil.
2) Crumble in Sausage, add; onion, celery and all of the dried seasonings. Sauté for 8 minutes.
3) Add herbed stuffing and stir to incorporate.
4) Slowly add you stock. Mixture should be moist and hold together.
5) Transfer stuffing to a different pan to cool, and follow instructions above.