You’re going to love, love, love this recipe! Seriously, you’ll make the recipe with the intention of freezing some for a quick and easy meal, but… you may find that it will disappear before you have the chance to freeze it. Approved by Dan & Gervase, men of discerning tastes!
Ingredients (Serves 8):
- 1 – pound Wild Idea Ground Buffalo Meat
- 1 – onion, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 – tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – tablespoon thyme
- 1 – tablespoon basil
- 1 – tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 – tablespoon oregano
- 2 – teaspoons salt
- 1 – teaspoon black pepper
- 3 – cups carrots, chopped
- 3 – cups celery, chopped
- 3 – tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 – 32 ounces Hybrid Bone Broth or organic chicken stock
- 1 – 16 ounce jar roasted red peppers, pureed
- 2 – tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 – 15 ounce can of red kidney beans, or any beans
- 1 – head kale, chopped (about 3 handfuls)
- squeeze of half a lemon
- Italian parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated
- penne pasta (optional)
- In a large pot, over medium high heat, add the olive oil and coarsely crumble in the Ground Buffalo and add the chopped onions and dry spices. Brown the meat and stir occasionally, for about 7 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic and stir to incorporate. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, pureed peppers and tomato paste, stir to incorporate and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pot and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and the kale and stir to incorporate. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add the fresh lemon.
- To serve, place a half a cup of cooked pasta in individual bowls and ladle the soup over the pasta. Top with Italian parsley and grated parmesan and accompany with crusty bread.
Photo Credit: Jill O'Brien
Leave a comment