This recipe was inspired by my new addiction to the “Gangnam Style” dance.
The Korean word gangnam, stands for the south side of Seoul, were there are many fancy restaurants and shops. My recipe is a rendition of Bulgogi (Korean B.B.Q.), which can be served a variety of ways. Here are two of my favorite renditions.
Note: Traditionally the Koreans use high end cuts, but I find that this is not necessary. The flank steak becomes very tender in the marinade. You are going to love this recipe. Get your gangnam on!
Gangnam Style Lettuce Wraps (serves 8)
- 2 lbs. Buffalo Flank Steak
- 1/2 cup Braggs Amino Liquids
- 2 Tb. Sesame Oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 Asian pear, or pear, peeled & cored
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tb. sugar
- 1 Tb. red pepper flake
- Rinse flank steaks, pat dry and remove any exterior fat. Place flank steaks on cutting board, using sharp knife cut flank steak on the bias into ¼ “ slices. To cut steaks on the bias, tilt your knife to a 45* angle (the top of your knife blade should be at the 10:00 position). Place sliced flank steaks into a non-reactive bowl.
- Place remaining ingredients in blender and puree.
- Pour marinade over meat and massage into meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a wok to high heat or place a large sauté pan over high heat. Brush pan with a little sesame oil, once hot add marinated meat to pan. Stir meat in a tossing manner while cooking, for 3 to 4 minutes.
Place meat on platter with leaf lettuce or iceberg lettuce, accompany with warm rice or rice noodles and julienned vegetables of your choice, along with sesame seeds, fresh garlic, grated ginger and red pepper flake.
Gangnam Style Buffalo Stew
- 1 quart buffalo broth, (or vegetable or beef broth)
- 4 cups variety vegetables, chopped (I used, peppers, squash, mushrooms and green onion.)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Prepare as above through #4. Pile meat in center of the wok or pan.
- Add vegetables to pan, circling around meat.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Push meat down into broth, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
To Serve: Place ½ cup of rice into bowls and ladle with hot stew. Pass with sesame seeds, grated garlic, fresh ginger and red chili flake.