This is my quick version of Lasagna. It's a bit lighter than my traditional recipe and a good go-to dish to prepare in advance for a quick heat and eat meal at the end of a busy day.
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 1 – batch Buffalo Meat Sauce (recipe below)
- 1 – package no boil lasagna sheets
- 1 – pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8 – ounces Parmesan, grated
- optional roasted zucchini
Buffalo Meat Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – pound Wild Idea Buffalo Italian Sausage
- 1 – onion, diced
- 1 – tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 – tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 – tablespoon dried basil
- 2 – teaspoon dried crushed fennel
- ½ – teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely diced
- 1 – teaspoon salt
- 1 – teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 – cup red wine
- 1 – quart crushed tomatoes, (rinse jar with 1 cup water)
- 1 – tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ – tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 – tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in heavy sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Coarsely crumble in Buffalo Italian Sausage and stir once.
- Add onion, garlic and dried spices. Stir to incorporate. Continue to cook until sausage is lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add red wine and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients. Let ingredients come to full heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved. Stir occasionally.
- Season to taste.
- Lightly oil lasagna pan or casserole dish.
- Cover bottom of pan with 1 cup meat sauce.
- Layer with lasagna sheets, meat sauce and mozzarella. (roasted zucchini may be added to layers if you choose).
- Repeat layers 2 to 3 times based on pan size, ending with a thin layer of meat sauce on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cover top with grated Parmesan and allow to melt or lightly brown.