Buffalo Chili Dogs (Serves 6)
Delicious, messy and healthy! Our 100% grass-fed, nitrite free Hot Dogs, will bring you back to eating hot dogs again. Better yet, try them covered in Bison Chili!
- 1 – pkg. Wild Idea Buffalo Hot Dogs
- 2 – cups Wild Idea Buffalo Chili, heated (recipe below)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 hot dog buns (whole wheat or whole grain, best)
- 1 Tb. Olive oil
- *optional toppings: pickled jalapeno’s, raw onion or your favorite extra
- Preheat inside gas grill to 550*. (Half of grill set on high and other half set on low).
- Place hot dogs over hot side of grill and grill for 2 minutes each side, closing grill during cooking time.
- While hot dogs are grilling brush inside of buns with olive oil and place inside down over low heat side of the grill, and brown. About two minutes.
- Remove browned buns and place hot dogs on buns.
- Top each hot dog with 1/3 cup of heated chili and sprinkle each with ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. (Cheese will melt on its own, or use small torch if you would like to lightly brown cheese). Serve with optional toppings and a lot of napkins!
4 Bean Bison Chili
Makes 10 to 12 entrée servings.
Chili freezes nicely. Portion out and freeze for a quick meal at a later date.
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- ½ teaspoon each smoked paprika and cayenne
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 quart stewed tomatoes
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 8 golden peperoncini, diced + juices
- 1 15oz can each: butter beans, black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans, (drained – but not rinsed)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups water
- Mix all dry spices together.
- In heavy stew pot, over medium high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add Wild Idea bison meat, crumbling into small pieces. Lightly brown, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic and seasonings. Continue to brown, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for ½ to 1 hour, or until desired thickness is achieved.
Adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with fresh lime or lemon wedges, fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream, or grated cheddar cheese. Serve with Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Bread, (recipe included upon request with purchase).
Wine Pairing: Skip the wine with this one and have a cold beer!