My brother forwarded on a u-tube clip of the B.B.Q. Guys making Bacon Wrapped Beer Can Stuffed Burgers. For their recipe they used a half-pound of 80% lean ground beef, pork bacon, and then stuffed it with pulled pork, roast beef, and cheese! They had ribs grilling too, but that was just for snacking! No kidding. I thought to myself, “heart attack” and, “I bet using Wild Idea Buffalo Bacon, and our 95% lean ground buffalo, that I could make a healthier, delicious version”. Below are two options that I think you will really enjoy, and its Paleo friendly!
Ingredients for Meat: (makes 3 burgers)
1 – pound Wild Idea Buffalo Burger
6 – strips Wild Idea Buffalo Bacon
½ - teaspoon each salt & pepper
1 – tablespoon olive oil
1 – bottle beer
Preparation for Meat:
1) Spread meat out onto a plate. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and olive oil over the meat. Mix the seasoned meat together with your hands and portion into three even sized balls.
2) Transfer the balls of buffalo meat to a platter. Press a beer bottle into the center of the portioned meat and bring the meat that squishes out to the sides, up the sides of the bottle uniformly.
3) Wrap the meat with two pieces of Wild Idea Buffalo Bacon, overlapping the two pieces. Secure bacon with a couple of toothpicks.
4) Remove beer bottle, and stuff with one of the fillings below, pressing in lightly.
5) Pre-heat grill to medium high heat, around 450°. Insure grill grates are clean and oiled. Using a spatula transfer the burgers to the grill, turn the burners that they are directly under the burgers off, and drop the remaining lit burners that are to the sides or side of them to a medium low setting. This will drop your grill temperature to around 325°. Close lid and grill for about 12 minutes rotating burgers halfway through cooking. Move burgers over direct heat, and turn burner to high. Close lid and grill for about two minutes. Remove from grill and serve immediately.
I served the stuffed buffalo burgers with foil wrapped grilled potatoes, which kept all the hot cooking outside. Accompany with a green salad.
Caramelized Vegetable and Mozzarella Stuffing(stuffs 3 burgers)
8 – ounces crimmini mushrooms, steams removed and sliced
1 – medium sweet onion, chopped
2 – tablespoons butter
1 - tablespoon olive oil
½ - teaspoon each salt & pepper
2 – cloves garlic chopped
1/3 – cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
4 – ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1) In a sauté pan over medium high heat, heat butter and olive oil. Add onions, mushrooms, salt, and pepper and sauté stirring occassionally, for about 25 minutes, or until nicely browned.
2) Add the garlic cloves and sundried tomatoes, stirring in to incorporate. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
3) Remove pan from heat and allow to come to come to room temperature.
4) Once cooled off, stir in shredded mozzarella cheese.
This is sooo good, you will be sneaking bites out of the pan! :)
Mediterranean Stuffing:(stuffs 3 burgers)
1 – cup chopped spinach
¼ - cup pepperoncini, chopped
¼ - cup kalamata olives, chopped
¼ - cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
¼ - teaspoon each salt & pepper
5 – ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Preparation: Mix all ingredients in bowl to incorporate.
This is super good too!