Living in the country, an hour away from the closest grocery, I often substitute ingredients in recipes, which can sometimes lead to a whole new recipe. My rendition of Harissa Sauce is one of those recipes. It’s my new favorite sauce and although it is terrific on everything (including a spoon), it is particularly great on Wild Idea Bison Sirloin Steaks (or any of our cuts)!
Ingredients: (Makes 2 to 4 servings)
- 2 – 6 ounce Wild Idea Buffalo Sirloin Steaks
- 1 – teaspoon chili powder
- ½ - teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ - teaspoon coriander
- ½ - teaspoon cumin
- ½ - teaspoon salt
- 3 – garlic cloves
- 1/3 – cup roasted red peppers (I always keep a jar on hand in my pantry)
- 1 – tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – lemon, juiced
- 2 to 4 - quality buns, brushed with oil and lightly toasted
- Rinse the steaks under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Using a fine tine fork, pierce the steaks at an angle a few times on each side. This will assist with getting the flavors of the Harissa Sauce into the meat.
- Mix the spices, roasted red peppers, olive oil, and lemon juice together in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Rub half of the Harissa Sauce into the prepped steaks, cover and allow them to rest for 2 hours before cooking, or make ahead of time and place in refrigerator to marinade, removing 2 hours before cooking to allow steaks to come to room temperature. Reserve and refrigerate the other half of the Harissa Sauce for the mayonnaise.
- Preheat grill to 500°. Shake off excess marinade and grill over hot heat for 2 minutes on each side. Remove steaks from the grill, cover, and allow them to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice steaks thin and pile on to toasted buns. Top with Harissa Mayonnaise, recipe listed below. Fabulous!
Roasted Red Pepper Harissa Mayonnaise
This tasty condiment will keep in a sealed jar in your refrigerator for up to a month.
- ½ - batch Harissa Sauce
- 2 – tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 – tablespoons cider or rice vinegar
- ¼ - cup onions, finely diced
- ¼ - cup cilantro, chopped
Gently mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl with a fork. Place in a sealed jar and refrigerate until needed. Pull the mayonnaise out about an hour before using to let it come to room temperature.