Buffalo Tortilla Soup
This traditional Mexican soup takes on a whole new “el yumo” taste with our easy to use, heat and eat Pulled Buffalo Chuck Roast. My recipe is simple, but I promise it will not disappoint! I do have one warning though, when making the tortilla strips, be sure to have celery sticks close at hand to try to keep you from eating all of the hot, limed & salted crispy strips! No guarantees on that though. *Recipe can easily be halved.
2 - 1 pound, Heat & Eat Wild Idea Buffalo Pulled Chuck Roast
- ½ - cup coconut oil, or other oil
- 10 - corn tortillas, 4 - cut into strips & 6 - quartered
- 2 - onions, coarse chopped
- 8 - whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 - whole dried pasilla chiles, de-stemmed, seeded, and coarse chopped
- 1 - tablespoon cumin
- 1 - teaspoon coriander
- 1 - teaspoon cardamom
- 1 - teaspoon salt
- 1 - quart tomatoes (blackened, or canned)
- 2 - quarts organic chicken broth
- 1 - lime, halved
- 1 to 2 - avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 - ounces Queso Chihuahua, shredded
- ½ - cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 - lime, cut into wedges
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
Add ¼ of the tortillas strips and fry until crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove from oil and place on a brown bag, sprinkle with salt and a squeeze of lime. Repeat until all of the strips are cooked.
Transfer 1 tablespoon of the oil used to fry tortillas into a soup pot, over medium high heat.
Add the onions, garlic, chilies, and seasonings to the pot. Allow vegetables to lightly brown, stirring occassionally.
Add the tomatoes, broth, and remaining 6 tortillas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about one hour.
Remove from heat and let set for half an hour.
Transfer the soup to a blender in batches and mix until smooth. Return soup to medium high heat and bring to a gentle boil.
Add the two packages of the Pulled Buffalo Chuck Roast and and stir to incorporate. Heat for 5 minutes, then stir in the juice of half of a fresh lime and season to taste.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with crispy tortillas strips, avocado, grated cheese, and fresh cilantro. Accompany with fresh lime wedges.