This traditional Mexican soup takes on a whole new “el yumo” taste with our easy to use, heat and eat Pulled Buffalo Chuck Roast. My recipe is simple, but I promise it will not disappoint! I do have one warning though, when making the tortilla strips, be sure to have celery sticks close at hand to try to keep you from eating all of the hot, limed & salted crispy strips! No guarantees on that though. *Recipe can easily be halved.
2 - 1 pound, Heat & Eat Wild Idea Buffalo Pulled Chuck Roast
½ - cup coconut oil, or other oil
10 - corn tortillas, 4 - cut into strips & 6 - quartered
2 - onions, coarse chopped
8 - whole garlic cloves, peeled
2 - whole dried pasilla chiles, de-stemmed, seeded, and coarse chopped
1 - tablespoon cumin
1 - teaspoon coriander
1 - teaspoon cardamom
1 - teaspoon salt
1 - quart tomatoes (blackened, or canned)
2 - quarts organic chicken broth
1 - lime, halved
1 to 2 - avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
4 - ounces Queso Chihuahua, shredded
½ - cup cilantro, chopped
1 - lime, cut into wedges
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add ¼ of the tortillas strips and fry until crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove from oil and place on a brown bag, sprinkle with salt and a squeeze of lime. Repeat until all of the strips are cooked.
- Transfer 1 tablespoon of the oil used to fry tortillas into a soup pot, over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, chilies, and seasonings to the pot. Allow vegetables to lightly brown, stirring occassionally.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and remaining 6 tortillas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about one hour.
- Remove from heat and let set for half an hour.
- Transfer the soup to a blender in batches and mix until smooth. Return soup to medium high heat and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the two packages of the Pulled Buffalo Chuck Roast and and stir to incorporate. Heat for 5 minutes, then stir in the juice of half of a fresh lime and season to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with crispy tortillas strips, avocado, grated cheese, and fresh cilantro. Accompany with fresh lime wedges.
Leave a comment