Italian Wedding Soup
You don’t have to be Italian or getting married to enjoy this delicious, aromatic soup. Super easy, with minimal preparation and it makes a beautiful presentation! Serve the soup with crusty open-faced cheese sandwiches for dunking.
1 - pound Wild Idea Ground Buffalo
- 1 - egg, beaten
- 1 - teaspoon, fresh garlic, minced
- ½ - teaspoon fennel, crushed
- 1 - teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 - teaspoon onion powder
- ½ - teaspoon salt
- 2 - teaspoons black pepper (use less if you prefer)
- 2 - tablespoons olive oil
- 2½ - quarts Buffalo Broth or organic chicken broth
- ½ - cup orzo pasta
- 3 - cups spinach or escarole, chopped and packed
- ½ - cup basil, julienned
Ingredients (Serves 6):
Pass with grated Parmesan.
Preheat broiler to high with backing rack two positioned rungs down.
Mix eggs, seasoning and olive oil together.
Add ground bison and mix thoroughly.
Form into small meatballs, 24 to 40.
Place on baking sheet and bake under the broiler with door slightly ajar, until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
In stockpot on stove top over medium high heat, bring broth to a boil.
Add orzo, reduce heat to simmer and cook until pasta is tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the meatballs and juices from the pan to the stock. Allow meatballs to heat through.
Add spinach and the basil and cook for 2 minutes.
Serve immediately. Ladle soup into bowl and pass with grated Parmesan.