I promise - this delicious delicacy will be a big hit at your next dinner party.
Ingredients (Makes about 24 Appetizers or 4 Entrees):
- 1 - pound package Wild Idea Buffalo Tongue
- 1 - stick organic butter
- 1 - onion, diced
- 2 - cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - teaspoon salt
- 1 - tablespoon black pepper
- 5 – cups white wine
- 24 – crostini
- chive cream cheese or horseradish sauce
- In a 4-quart pot over medium high heat, melt ½ stick of the butter.
- Add half of the onion, garlic and seasonings to the pan.
- Add 4 cups of white wine and bring to a full boil.
- Rinse tongue under cold water, add it to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for about 2.5 hours, turning the tongue occasionally.
- Remove the tongue from the pot and place on a plate. Allow the tongue to cool until you can comfortably touch it with your hands.
- To peel the tongue, make a small slit between the skin and the meat of the tongue with a pairing knife, using your fingers to peel the skin away from the meat (if skin is resistant, return tongue to pot and continue to braise on low for another hour).
- In 3-inch deep sauté pan over medium high heat, add the other half stick of butter. Add the peeled tongue, and brown on all sides.
- Add the remaining half of the onion, garlic and seasonings and saute for a 5imnutes.
- Add the white wine and bring to a full boil, then reduce to simmer until most of the wine has been absorbed.
- Remove the tongue and transfer it to a cutting board. Cover the tongue with foil and allow it to rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Continue cooking of onions and mushrooms until the wine is completely absorbed.
- Slice the tongue thin and season to taste. Place sliced tongue on the crostini, top with the onions, and garnish with a dollop of chive cream cheese or horseradish cream.
Or, for an entrée, serve over mashed potatoes with the caramelized onions and horseradish cream. Delish!
Photo Credit: Jill O'Brien