Note: This recipe is based on an 8 lb. roast, adjust cooking time to pounds. Spices in the rub can be substituted or adjusted to your liking. This rub is excellent on all roasts. Modify spices per pounds.
- 1 Buffalo Prime Rib Roast or Buffalo Export Roast, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 Tb. salt
- 1 Tb. coarse black pepper
- 2 Tb. sugar
- 1 tsp. each: paprika, cumin, cardamom, chili powder, thyme,
- garlic powder, and onion powder
- 2 Tb. espresso, (reduce espresso to strengthen flavor)
- 2 Tb. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cups buffalo or organic beef stock (broth)
- ½ cup dry sherry
- Mix all dry spices together. Add espresso and oil, creating a paste.
- Rub seasoning paste into roast. Cover and leave at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450* Insert meat thermometer in center of roast, avoiding the bone.
- Place celery & onion on bottom of heavy roasting pan. Place roast bone side up on top of vegetable bed.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Add ½ cup stock to the bottom of pan and reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Continue roasting, calculating 10 minutes per pound, adding remaining stock to pan as needed throughout roasting. (Approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes for an 8 lb. roast or until the internal meat thermometer reaches 110*. Rely on your internal meat thermometer.)
- Shut oven off and leave roast in oven for 30 minutes or until internal meat thermometer reaches 125*.
- Transfer meat to a large platter and tent with foil to keep heat in. Meat thermometer should red 135* for medium rare.
- Place roasting pan on stove top over medium high heat, scraping the bottom to
- Loosen vegetables. Add any remaining stock and sherry and bring to a simmer.
- Slice roast into desired thickness, and add juices from roast to au jus.
- Season au jus to taste with salt, pepper and red wine. Strain.
- Serve roast with au jus and pass with horseradish cream sauce.
Or, you might also want to try the Cranberry Port Sauce for the holidays?
Cranberry Port Sauce
- 1 Tb. butter
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tb. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tb. black pepper
- 1 cup port +
- 1 can cranberry sauce
- In saucepan over medium high heat melt butter.
- Add onion, garlic and seasonings. Sauté for 7 minutes.
- De-glaze pan with port.
- Add cranberry sauce and stir in to incorporate.
Bring to simmer. Taste to adjust seasonings. If sauce becomes too thick, add additional port as needed. Drizzle over sliced Buffalo Roast.
*As another option, you can add 2 Tb. roasted & diced greens chilies.
Leave a comment