If you are looking for a great chili to bring to your next chili cook-off or football game, then try this recipe and let the compliments roll in. Even better the second (or third) day—if there are any leftovers.
Ingredients (Serves 10):
- 2 – pounds Wild Idea Buffalo Premium Ground
- 2 – tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – onion, chopped
- 2 – tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 – tablespoons cumin
- 2½ – tablespoons chili powder
- ½ – tablespoon oregano
- ½ – tablespoon thyme
- 2 – teaspoons coriander
- ½ – teaspoon each smoked paprika and cayenne
- 1 – tablespoon black pepper
- 2 – teaspoons salt
- 1 – quart stewed tomatoes
- 1 – quart tomato sauce
- 8 – golden pepperoncini, diced + juices
- 1 – 15oz can each: butter beans, black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans, (drained - but not rinsed)
- 1 – lemon, juiced
- 2 – cups water
- Mix all dry spices together.
- In heavy stew pot, over medium high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add Wild Idea bison meat, crumbling into small pieces. Lightly brown, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and seasonings. Continue to brown, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for ½ to 1 hour, or until desired thickness is achieved.
Adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with fresh lime or lemon wedges, fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream, or grated cheddar cheese.
Photo Credit: Jill O'Brien