When I’m wanting a medium rare roast and when a cut needs a little tenderizing, my always go to method is Hot & High then Low & Slow. It’s a winner every time. This cut has a sinew seam that runs through it, but is very easy to eat around it after slicing.
1 – 1.5# English Roast
2 – tablespoons olive oil
1 – teaspoon of salt
2 – teaspoons of black pepper
2 – teaspoons of onion powder
Seasonings of your choice. Avoid using real garlic, as it will burn with the high heat.
- Remove roast from packaging, then rinse and pat dry.
- In a heavy pot, add the olive oil and seasonings. Mix together.
- Place the roast in the pot and roll it around in the seasonings. Cover lightly with saran or a towel and allow the roast to rest for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Place roast uncovered in hot oven for 7 minutes, then shut the oven off.
- Leave the roast in the oven for another 2 hours. Do NOT open the oven door.
- Remove the roast from the oven and turn the oven back on to 500°.
- Remove the roast from the pot and place on a cutting board and cut the roast into thin slices, keeping the slices tightly together. Transfer the slices onto a baking pan for reheating.
- Place the pot that the roast cooked in on the stove top over medium high heat and add either a little, broth, wine or water for an au jus. Season to taste.
- Place sliced roast back into hot oven and reheat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately transfer to a platter. Serve with hot au jus.
Orange, Rosemary Butter
½ - stick salted butter
juice of one small orange
fresh rosemary leaves from one steam
Heat all ingredients in the microwave and then blend in a blender to incorporate.
Transfer to a bowl. Serve at room temperature.
Leave a comment